Access to all articles, new health classes, discounts in our store, and more!
Recipes from the Flavor Chef, Lance Roll
This carrot-ginger soup is bright in color and super healthy with a flavorful kick. A great digestive, it is easy on the stomach and packed with nutrients. Genuine bone broth, coconut milk, mint, and lemon juice help in the digestion process, and orange juice intensifies the flavor. Adding a pinch of cayenne and turmeric will further boost the flavor and increase the health benefit of this luxurious soup, which can be served either hot or cold.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin coconut oil
- ½ cup white onion, chopped
- 4 cups carrots, chopped
- Juice from 3 ounces grated ginger (see note below)
- 4 cups organic chicken bone broth
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons fresh peeled ginger, finely grated
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Juice of a Valencia orange
- 14-ounce can coconut milk
- Unrefined sea salt
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional; recommended)
- Pinch of turmeric (optional)
- Fresh mint, parsley, or cilantro leaves (chopped, for garnish)
- Heat the coconut oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sauté until translucent, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the carrots and ginger, and sweat gently for 3 minutes.
- Add the chicken bone broth, ginger juice, lemon juice, and orange juice and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat immediately to a simmer, and cook covered until the carrots are tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Puree with immersion blender or food processor until very smooth. For a refined consistency, press the soup through a sieve to remove any fiber.
- Stir in the coconut milk, salt, cayenne pepper, and turmeric.
- The soup can be chilled at this point and served cold, or reheated over medium heat. Ladle into bowls and garnish with fresh mint, parsley, or cilantro.
Note: Finely grate the ginger and squeeze to juice. This removes the insoluble, hard-to-digest fibers.
About the Author
Chef Lance Roll has been cooking professionally for 29 years. His career started in 1988 when he joined the team of Chef Mark Strausman at Sapore Di Mare, in New York, where he spent two and a half years learning classical European cooking principles and Tuscan cuisine. In 2005, he became a Certified Executive Chef at the American Culinary Federation, and from 2003 to 2007, he was a professional chef instructor at San Diego Culinary Institute, in California, where he was dubbed “The Flavor Chef.” Chef Lance is considered by many to be an expert in the industry, and he is widely sought after for interviews. He is the sole owner and president of The Flavor Chef, Inc., which he founded based on a farm-to-table philosophy of using local and organic sustainable food products. His company provides catering services to the San Diego area and sells its signature bone broths online. Learn more about The Flavor Chef at www.bonebroth.com.
Price-Pottenger members can read hundreds of additional articles on our website.
To become a member, click here.
Check out other recipes from Chef Lance Roll:
Published in the Price-Pottenger Journal of Health and Healing
Fall 2017 Volume 41 Number 3
Copyright © 2017 Price-Pottenger Nutrition Foundation, Inc.®
All Rights Reserved Worldwide