Access to all articles, new health classes, discounts in our store, and more!
- 2 tablespoons ghee or coconut oil (or mix)
- 1 cup onion, thinly julienned (sweet variety, if available)
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced into thin shards
- 2 bunches broccolini or rapini, trimmed if necessary
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes (optional)
- ½ to 1 cup organic chicken bone broth
- ¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese (optional)
- 2 to 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes (optional)
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for finishing
- Place the ghee or coconut oil in a sauté pan over medium to high heat.
- Add the julienned onions and the shards of garlic.
- Season with salt, and chili flakes, if desired. (Sautéing will increase the intensity of the chili.)
- Cook this mixture until the onions are translucent and the garlic is slightly browned.
- Add the broccolini or rapini and toss gently or combine using tongs.
- Continue cooking for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the chicken bone broth.
- Place a lid on the pan and allow the broccoli to steam and soften for 5 to 7 minutes, or until tender. (Broccoli is easier to digest when cooked well, as the fiber in the stems will break down.)
- When it’s ready, toss on the Parmesan cheese and/or nutritional yeast flakes.
- Place in a serving dish and drizzle with olive oil.
About the Author
Chef Lance Roll has been cooking professionally for 29 years. His career started in 1988 when he joined the team of Chef Mark Strausman at Sapore Di Mare, in New York, where he spent two and a half years learning classical European cooking principles and Tuscan cuisine. In 2005, he became a Certified Executive Chef at the American Culinary Federation, and from 2003 to 2007, he was a professional chef instructor at San Diego Culinary Institute, in California, where he was dubbed “The Flavor Chef.” Chef Lance is considered by many to be an expert in the industry, and he is widely sought after for interviews. He is the sole owner and president of The Flavor Chef, Inc., which he founded based on a farm-to-table philosophy of using local and organic sustainable food products. His company provides catering services to the San Diego area and sells its signature bone broths online. Learn more about The Flavor Chef at www.bonebroth.com.
More recipes from Chef Lance Roll:
Published in the Price-Pottenger Journal of Health and Healing
Fall 2017 Volume 41 Number 3
Copyright © 2017 Price-Pottenger Nutrition Foundation, Inc.®
All Rights Reserved Worldwide