Access to all articles, new health classes, discounts in our store, and more!
- 2½ cups ground nuts (or nut flour, if you can find a source)
- ¼ cup melted butter or ¼ cup homemade yogurt, or small amount of fruit juice, or pure apple butter (add last and adjust amount depending on the consistency of the batter)
- ¼ cup honey (more or less as desired)
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 3 eggs (if eggs must be avoided, use pureed fruit to hold ingredients together)
Using a blender:
After grinding the nuts in the blender, empty them into a bowl. Place eggs and honey into blender and mix thoroughly. Add the egg mixture to the nuts and blend by hand or with an electric beater. Add butter or yogurt as needed to brig to a muffin batter consistency. Blend in baking soda and salt.
Using a food processor:
After grinding nuts, allow ground nuts to remain in the processor bowl. Add other ingredients, adding butter or yogurt last according to how much liquid you need to bring the batter to a muffin batter consistency.
Line cupcake tins with paper cupcake liners. Spoon batter into cupcake tins, filling about one-half full.
Bake at 375° F (190° C) for about 15-20 minutes or until muffins spring back when pressed.
It is difficult to bake light muffins without regular flour, and the muffins may fall after they have been removed from the oven. This will not affect their taste.
- Add cup raisins or currants.
- Add juice of one orange and some grated orange rind (use organic or unsprayed oranges).
- Add grated orange rind and chopped dried fruit cut into small pieces (about ½ cup of apricots, sun-dried pineapple, apples, or pears).
- Add 1 to 2 teaspoons of grated orange rind and ½ teaspoon almond flavoring.
- NUT BREAD Add one more egg (4 altogether) to batter, and bake in well-buttered 1-quart baking dish.
- BANANA NUT BREAD Add one more egg and two mashed extra-ripe bananas to batter.
- After all ingredients are mixed thoroughly, stir in gently ½ to ¾ cup fresh or frozen blueberries.
Reprinted with permission of Elaine Gottshall, BA, MSc, from Breaking The Vicious Cycle (available from PPNF)
Published in Health & Healing Wisdom
Spring 2002 | Volume 26, Number 1
Copyright © 2002 Price-Pottenger Nutrition Foundation, Inc.®
All Rights Reserved Worldwide