Access to all articles, new health classes, discounts in our store, and more!
Prep: 10 minutes / Yield: ¾ cup; 6 servings
Replace vinegar with lemon juice and vinaigrette becomes Lemonette. A good rule of thumb is 1 part lemon juice with 2 to 3 parts oil. Use more oil relative to lemon juice if you prefer a less sour taste. Add a dash of honey if you prefer a sweet taste. Not just for tossed salads, this dressing tastes great with roasted or parboiled (blanched) vegetables.
FYI: Look for unrefined, virgin-pressed oils sold in dark bottles. Olive oil dressings thicken in the refrigerator. Store in the side door or remove dressing 15 to 20 minutes to liquefy before serving.
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest, optional
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon ground black or white pepper, or to taste
- 1 to 2 tablespoons (raw, preferably local) honey, optional
- 1 garlic clove, minced or pressed, about ½ to 1 teaspoon
- ¼ teaspoon finely ground, unrefined sea salt
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil, unrefined or cold-pressed avocado oil, or combination
- 1 tablespoon warm water
- Combine all of the ingredients except the water in blender or small food processor. Cover and process until smooth. With machine running, add the water and blend.
- Taste, adjust as needed, then pour into small jar, and serve or cover and refrigerate.
- Use within 2 weeks for best flavor.
Add to 1 tablespoon Dijon, creamy white, or yellow mustard.
Shallot Lemonette: Increase pepper to ½ teaspoon and add 2 minced shallots and 1½ teaspoons dried, crumbled or 2 tablespoons chopped, fresh basil leaves. Garlic is optional.
Italian Lemonette: Add 1 tablespoon each fresh (minced) or 1 teaspoon each dried, crumbled basil, oregano, and thyme, or rosemary leaves.
Reprinted with permission from The Garden of Eating: A Produce-Dominated Diet & Cookbook by Rachel Albert-Matesz and Don Matesz (Planetary Press, 2004).
Check out other Rachel Albert recipes:
Published in the Price-Pottenger Journal of Health & Healing
Summer 2013 | Volume 37, Number 2
Copyright © 2013 Price-Pottenger Nutrition Foundation, Inc.®
All Rights Reserved Worldwide