Access to all articles, new health classes, discounts in our store, and more!
Active time: 20 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 1 pound Italian sausage, casing removed
- 1 medium onion, small diced
- 1 red bell pepper, roasted and skin removed, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 bunches kale, stems removed, roughly chopped
- 1 quart chicken bone broth
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Sea salt and garlic pepper to taste
- ¼ cup raw parmesan cheese, freshly shredded
- Sauerkraut, for garnish (optional)
- Heat ghee in a large pot over medium heat. Add sausage and brown, stirring occasionally to break into smaller pieces, for approximately 10 minutes.
- Add onion, bay leaf, salt, onion powder, and garlic pepper and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, for an additional 10 minutes. Add garlic and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Then add roasted red pepper and kale, and cook until the kale becomes slightly wilted.
- Pour bone broth over the sausage and wilted kale. Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce heat and keep at a simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Top with shredded parmesan cheese, and garnish with sauerkraut if desired.
Note: This soup tastes best the second day. If time allows, cool soup completely and refrigerate for the following day. Reheat before serving.
Chef Taylor Allen attended San Diego Culinary Institute where she acquired knowledge of traditional French cooking techniques. Taylor offers personal, in-home ancestral food preparation and real-food kitchen retrofits. She specializes in GAPS protocol as well as paleo and gluten- and casein-free meals.
Check out these other recipes from Taylor Allen:
Published in the Price-Pottenger Journal of Health and Healing
Fall 2021 | Volume 45, Number 3
Copyright © 2021 Price-Pottenger Nutrition Foundation, Inc.®
All Rights Reserved Worldwide